Report suspected Medicare errors, fraud and abuse
Please call Ohio SMP at 513-458-5523 / 800-488-6070, Option 4, or complete the Contact Ohio SMP form.
What if I gave the caller my Medicare number or my Social Security number?
If you have given your Medicare or Social Security number to a caller, please contact Ohio SMP and follow the instructions at www.IdentityTheft.gov to report potential identity theft.
How Can I Detect Medicare errors, fraud, scams or abuse?
Even when you do everything right, there is a chance you could be a target of health care fraud. There are a lot of ways that your personal information can be used without your permission.
Here are some steps you can take to detect potential errors, fraud and abuse:
- Always review your Medicare Summary Notices and Explanations of Benefits for mistakes. Access to your current Medicare account is available 24 hours a day at www.MyMedicare.gov.
- Compare your Medicare Summary Notices and Explanations of Benefits to your personal health care journal to make sure they are correct.
- Look for three things on your billing statement:
- Charges for something you didn’t get,
- Billing for the same thing twice, and
- Services that were not ordered by your doctor.
Where should I report telemarketing fraud and scams?
If you got a suspicious phone call asking for your confidential information for a “free” prize or product, please report these calls directly to the Federal Trade Commission at 1-877-382-4357 or www.ftc.gov. Read recent scam alerts here.
“The strongest defense against crime is not law enforcement, it is informed citizens”
– U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius